Wednesday 9 July 2014

Wholemeal Parsnip Cake

Last week I made a Parsnip cake for my partner Jack's birthday. I think I am safe to say it went down a treat and I will be making it again soon. I had a look online to find a recipe that had all the elements
that I wanted to include but none were quite what I was after so I played about with measurements and spices until I was happy...
The final result was a moist and wholesome cake with a sweet, earthy flavour. Since Jack doesn't like cream cheese based icing I opted for simplicity, whipping double cream with a pinch of cinnamon using this between sponges and on top.


 
Wholemeal Cinnamon and Parsnip Cake
 
250g wholemeal flour
1tbsp baking powder
2tsp cinnamon
1tsp ginger
1tsp ground nutmeg
250g golden caster sugar
250g parsnips (coarsely grated)
zest and juice of 1 lemon
3 large eggs
250ml olive oil
 
First and foremost turn the oven to 180C, I know from experience that there is nothing worse than opening the oven to find out it's not on...
Now prepare two 20cm cake tins.  I have recently become accustomed to using cake tin liners for ease however if you want a nice smooth edge I suggest taking time to oil the tins and line the bottom with baking paper.
 
Begin by adding all of the dry ingredients into a large bowl. In another bowl whisk the eggs, oil, lemon juice and zest before adding the grated parsnip. Now the dry ingredients can be added to our oil mixture and thoroughly combined.
 
Pour the mixture into your prepared tins and pop into the oven for roughly 45 minutes, although check them with a skewar in the middle and when it comes out clean your good to go.
 
Allow your cakes time to cool in there tins completely before turning them out onto a wire rack.
As I mentioned earlier I kept the filling and topping simple with whipped double cream and a sprinkling of cinnamon but for those with a sweet tooth feel free to go all out but I must admit this humble cake has all the depth and flavour to steal the show.
 
As you can see in my pic above I used a variety of fresh fruits and some lemon mint from my garden to give the cake a little extra pizzazz! 
 
 Naomi&Nina

No comments:

Post a Comment