Monday 25 August 2014

Budapest

 
Well I am feeling pretty satisfied after having the most lovely weekend in Budapest with Jack. It was such a beautiful, atmospheric city that we felt so connected to. As a couples retreat for us it was perfect, we had lots of precious time together to relax and explore. Although I do definitely hope to take Nina in the future because there was so much on offer for kids to see and do, it's clear to see how safe and child friendly the majority of places are in Budapest.
 
 
Literally every street on the Pest side of the Danube is filled with stunning architecture, be it old or new. I think this is what gives Budapest such a cool and diverse appeal.
 

 
 
 
We stayed in the Zara Continental Hotel which was absolutely lovely and perfect for the relaxed weekend we had in mind. The hotel was modern without losing the old grandeur and history of it's path. It's relatively hidden along the Dohany Utca behind one of the most beautiful revolving doors I have ever seen. We put the hotels indoor and outdoor pool on the roof to good use and relished having a moment to relax above the city.
 
We enjoyed breakfast outside every morning on the terrace as we settled ourselves into each new day of adventures.
 
 
 
A short walk from our hotel was the Szimpla ruin bar which was everything we had hoped for and more. We found ourselves in a tourists haven, enjoying the quirky furniture and mish mash of eccentric furnishings here, there and everywhere. I've definitely never seen anything like it before and I was pleasantly surprised by the good wholesome atmosphere. However, a word of warning ladies - do not wear a maxi dress. I hate to think what mind trailed through over the course of that night, but I won't go into detail. Anyway, all and all a must see spot in Budapest.
 
 
 
 
 
My favourite meal was at the exceptional Zeller bistro. Above is a little pic of me enjoying some fine wine in one of my favourite dinner spots - ever! After seeing the Zeller Bistro as #1 on Tripadvisor I wanted to see what everyone was so excited about and I was by no means disappointed. Firstly, the staff went above and beyond to be helpful and courteous. It has such a lovely, informal and relaxed atmosphere which is exactly what Jack and I were seeking after a busy day sightseeing. The setting is
simple and homely in a snug little basement and the food was phenomenal. My main, pictured above, of roasted Hungarian lamb with smoked cheese polenta was absolutely sublime. It was filling, flavoursome and the lamb was cooked to perfection.
What struck me most about Zeller was the attention to detail, a complimentry elderflower drink on arrival and a little cupcake along with your bill (very reasonably priced, might I add!). It was a perfect evening and I would reccommend to anyone visiting Budapest.
 
More pics to come soon, thanks for stopping by!
 
 
Naomi&Nina
 

 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment